The University of Michigan Debate Program has one of the top collegiate debate programs in the country. The Michigan Debate Team travels across the country and competes against other top universities and in national debate tournaments. Students on the team learn critical thinking skills and persuasive communication techniques. Through the varsity traveling team, summer national high school debate institute, urban debate outreach efforts in Detroit, and hosting of a national high school debate tournament, the Michigan Debate Team facilitates and enriches the educational experience of current and potential future students.
Your gift to Michigan Debate ensures that we can continue to have one of the top collegiate debate programs in the country. The debate team and summer program compete against other top colleges and universities from around the country and donor support helps provide all the tools necessary to be competitive and successful.
- Scholarships for incoming UM Debaters
- Scholarships could make the difference on whether a top high school debater attends UM or a competitor school. Recruiting the top high school debaters to UM is essential to having the number one program in the country.
- Scholarships for UM Debate Campers
- Getting the top high school debaters to Ann Arbor for seven weeks each summer increases the chance they will apply to and possibly attend UM for college. The race to get the top high school seniors at camp has become very competitive and providing scholarships helps level this playing field.
- As college debate continues to evolve, expensive technology is playing an integral role. Each debate team is now issued a laptop computer they use during debates. The video recording of debates is very popular and we would like each team to have their own camcorder. The team currently has one portable MiFi internet device for tournaments, but would like to purchase several more.
Learn more about the Michigan Debate Team!